The Appletreewick, Barden and Burnsall Angling Club have two “resident” fully qualified fly fishing instructors/guides, Steve Rhodes co-proprietor of ”Go Fly Fishing UK” and Stephen Wilson of ”To Cast a Fly” are both club members and serve on the ABBAC Committee.
Steve Rhodes has fly fished for 46 years and has been a Burnsall Angling Club member for 26 years and is an Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide, Stephen Wilson has fly fished for 9 years and has been a member of the Burnsall Angling Club for 6 years.
Both Steve and Stephen know the river and Lower Barden Reservoir intimately and are able to take clients on the river throughout the season and to Lower Barden Reservoir. Both have access to a boat at Lower Barden reservoir. Steve Rhodes is also able to guide/teach clients on the majority of the other Yorkshire Dales rivers and many of its still waters, Stephen Wilson teaches and guides on the River Wharfe and River Aire.
If you want a day’s fly fishing tuition or guided fly fishing day on the ABBAC’s waters contact Steve or Stephen directly on:
Tel: 01756 748378
Mob: 07717 533177
Club Rules for Other Guides/Instructors Teaching Clients on “The Appletreewick, Barden and Burnsall Angling Club”, (ABBAC), Water on the River Wharfe, Burnsall.
- The guiding/teaching of clients is only allowed during the periods when day tickets are generally available to the public i.e. Trout from the 1st June until the 30th September (inclusive) and Grayling from the 1st November until the 31st January (inclusive). Please note no day tickets are available on Saturdays and Sundays during June.
- The guide/instructor must also be in possession of a valid day ticket in addition to his client/clients.
- A maximum of two clients are allowed on any one day, additional clients may be taken to a maximum of six by prior arrangement with the Secretary and will be limited to a specific beat or beats.
- No guiding/teaching to be allowed at any time on Beat A the club preserves between Fir Beck (by the green huts) and Barden Bridge, the bottom downstream limit.
- Clients must be in possession of their own Environment Agency rod licence or in the case of complete beginner/s these may be covered only by Angling Trust Licenced Coaches upon completion of the relevant Angling Trust/Environment Agency form.
Whilst the Appletreewick, Barden and Burnsall Angling Club more than welcomes day ticket fishers and guides/instructors to its water on the River Wharfe it was felt that in the interests of members some guidelines and rules needed to be applied to guiding and teaching on our water. Your co-operation and application of these rules is much appreciated.